Why support this project?
Climate finance supports the conservation and restoration of the wetlands and native forests in this project area, preventing the release of emissions, while preserving vital habitat for native wildlife including the endangered Sumatran tiger, rhinoceros, hornbill and sun bear.
The project conducts key activities to increase the resilience of the ecosystem through peat rewetting, reforestation, and fire prevention. In 2015, the project’s fire prevention team successfully saved more than 6,000 hectares of forest from destruction. Furthermore, this project supports more than 145 local jobs.
Over the lifetime of the project, 8.1% of the net greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions and removals are expected to result from Afforestation, Reforestation and Revegetation (ARR) activities. The remaining 91.9% of GHG reductions and removals are expected to result from Wetlands Restoration and Conservation (WRC) activities which relate to the rewetting of drained peatland, restoration, and conservation of undrained and partially drained peatland.
The project protects more than 22,934 hectares, of peatland rainforest in one of the largest, deepest and last remaining peatland swamp areas in South Sumatra
In partnership with surrounding communities, the project contributes to multiple initiatives, including public health campaigns, water and sanitation infrastructure, employment, and education programs. By fostering inclusive partnerships and a culture of nature connection and sustainability in local communities, the project serves to reduce poverty and enhance the wellbeing of communities.
The Sumatra Merang Peatland Project (SMPP) has a limited number of communities living within the project area, with small communities that derive their likelihoods within the SMPP area all residing in neighboring areas outside the project boundary. These small communities are made up of fishermen and small-scale farmers and their families. The implementation of the project helps reduce fires, improve water quality (and therefore fish stocks), increase long-term livelihood and improve access to education and waste management. The project is also designed to offer youth and local employment to manage the SMPP.
The project activities deliver vital biodiversity conservation outcomes. The project protects and regenerates vital peatland habitats in Sumatra, an area known for its wildlife including the endangered Sumatran tiger, rhinoceros hornbill, Malay tapir and sun bear. Of the species identified in the project area, more than 50% are either vulnerable, endangered or critically endangered, indicating that the site will have a significant positive impact on biodiversity under this project. The expected net benefits for biodiversity include the persistence of intact, ecologically functional habitats, restoration and regeneration of degraded peatland, and ongoing and recovering populations of species of conservation